The rules of engagement
A wager needs proper protocols. After all Phileas Fogg didn’t didn’t tramp off round the world without first establishing a few ground rules (note: Phileas Fogg did not technically tramp off round the world at all, what with him being a pretend man in a book an’ all).
At the start of our London adventure, Toast and I wrangled out a quick guide to conduct throughout the bet. This compilation will no doubt be further expanded over time but we needed a starting point to ensure no foul play on the first earnest weekend of the wager.
This is the list that we have currently agreed:
1. No deliberate cock-blocking. We may accidentally date the same girl but phoning her up to say the other one punches kittens for fun is off.
2. No telling girls you are dating about the blog. This is for our own safety really. No good can come of this. Although it’s probably wise to explain a bit after the proposal.
3. No outing. Since the girls you date don’t know about the blog it would be wrong to take photos of their faces or identify them openly.
4. No quitting.
5. Dating an ex of the other challenger is permitted but you have to let the other person know first. However, exes listed under the relevant challenger’s ‘Dating History’ are STRICTLY off limits.
6. EVERY date must be blogged. No secret dates. No ‘we just went for a coffee’. Every single one has to be recorded. Also you have to provide a Marriage Percentage (M%), scored at the end of the date.
7. There are no bad dates, only good stories.
8. The definition of a ‘real engagement’ is that you tell your mum.
For the sake of clarity and fair play, any future additions will be added to ‘The Rules of the Wager’ at the top of the blog. With that established we were free to start the weekend in earnest! (Note: for the sake of further clarity, we were in ‘London’, not ‘Earnest’)