Long term relationships: pros and cons
I’ve been dating the Theater Producer for over four months now. Yes proper dating, from when I asked her out after Epic Date #1. She thought we were dating before then but that would be a mistake like thinking the Earth was flat or that Indiana Jones IV was any good.
No really, I’m that bad at keeping relationships going. I don’t really do pets either. I’m so bad at relationships I think I qualify for disabled parking.
We haven’t really argued in all that time, although we will never agree over if the Y axis on a controller should be inverted or not – It’s a nerd thing to do with computer games, all you need to know is inverting is WRONG.
Here are some other unexpected benefits of being in a long term* relationship:
- They know how you like your coffee and you know how they like yours.
- You can force them to read books you like.
- Sometimes they buy you chocolates.
- They know to act impressed when you show them a picture of a dinosaur you made at work.
- Cheese toasties may be made for you unexpectedly.
- You have to pick up a lot of spiders and put them outside, even if you are just about to fall asleep.
- You may get into a slightly competitive game of ‘who can give their girlfriend the best gifts for no reason’ with your friend.
- Watching DVD Box sets takes ages because you aren’t allowed to watch the next one until they are around.
- If you give them a draw they will slowly take over your room.
- Apparently it’s never the right time to scribble on your girlfriend’s face when she is sleeping.
*By my standards which puts me at about the same level as mayfly or the half life of Seaborgium.